Information about Gas
As your landlord we are legally responsible for your safety. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 place duties on landlords to ensure gas appliances, fittings and chimneys/flues provided for tenants are safe.
Our main responsibilities are outlined by the Gas Safe Register, which are summarised below:
1 - Maintenance: we repair and maintain pipework, appliances and chimney/flues to ensure they are always safe and in good working order.
2 - Gas safety checks: we carry out annual gas safety checks on each gas appliance/flue. This will ensure gas appliances and fittings are safe to use. There is a legal requirement on us as landlord to have all gas appliances safety checked by a registered engineer annually and to ensure all gas pipework and flues are in a safe condition.
3 - Record: we provide A record of the annual gas safety check to our existing tenants within 28 days of completion, or to new tenants upon the start of their tenancy.. We keep copies of the record for at least 2 years.
If you have any concerns over the safety of your gas appliance(s) please call the Gwalia contact centre on 0800 0121080 who will arrange for a Gas Safe Engineer to attend to ensure the appliance(s) operating safely and as it should.
If you smell gas
If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, call the gas emergency number 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night, 365 days a year.
Wales and West Utilities also provide some steps to follow if you can smell gas:-
- Turn off the gas at the meter, unless the meter is located in a cellar or basement - in which case, do not enter.
- If there is a smell of gas in the cellar or basement, you should evacuate the building.
- Extinguish all naked flames - do not smoke or strike matches.
- Turn off all gas appliances and do not use until they are checked by the engineer.
- Do not operate any electrical appliances or turn any switches on or off.
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
- Keep people away from the area.
- Immediate access will be required.
Wales and West Utilities will always make the situation safe, if any further works are required to the installation or appliance(s) then please call our contact centre on 0800 0121080, who will arrange for a Gas Safe Engineer to attend to ensure the installation and appliance(s) are operating safely and as they should